Wednesday, May 16, 2012

How's Your Love Life?

How’s Your Love Life? I’m talking about your love life with your Bridegroom Jesus. Has the fire gone out? Are you just saying the right words, but there’s no passion behind them? Maybe you’re having a dry spell where there is no enthusiasm or joy. Or maybe you’d just like to draw closer to Him, to share a greater intimacy. At various times I’ve been in all those places.

  I’d like to recommend a remedy that has worked wonders for me—Love Letters to Jesus. If you’ve ever been separated from the one you love for any period of time, you’ve probably written love letters. They’re special. A text message, phone call, or e-mail is not the same. There’s something about putting your sentiments into words on paper that etches them in your memory, and theirs. I kept my husband’s letters from Japan in a box in a trunk for many years.

Since you’re betrothed to Jesus, your Bridegroom, wouldn’t you like to tell him how much you love him via a love letter? When I began to write love letters to him, the strangest thing happened. I began to love him more. I felt closer to him than ever before. I sensed his pleasure and love for me. Writing to him became the high point of my morning devotions. I couldn’t wait to start expressing my love and appreciation for all he has done for me. Sometimes he replies, and I write his thoughts into the letter, too. You don’t have to write anything fancy. This is just heart-to-heart communication with Jesus.

Below is a sample, one of the first Love Letters I wrote back in October, 2011:

Jesus, dear Jesus,

I am excited about writing a daily love letter to you. I love to praise you and tell you how wonderful you are. This gives me an opportunity to express my praise, thanks, and love and to write about the many little surprises you bless me with each day. Just as my son-in-law surprised my daughter with some leopard print booties trimmed in hot pink the other day, I get little (and big) surprises from you. By writing a love letter, I can express my thankfulness and appreciation for all you do for me. I want to bless you because you bless me.
I love you.

*************************************************************************************

This Love Letter tells of one of his early morning surprises:

Dear Jesus,

This morning I opened the door and stepped outside to see what you, the love of my life, had prepared for me while I slept. There it was—a newly minted morning, fresh and crisp in the early dawn. You had spattered the lawn with millions of sparkling jewels. The cardinal called a musical cher-up, cher-up while a gentle breeze brushed my cheek like a kiss from heaven. My heart swelled with joy. What an extravagant, princely Lover you are. Your gifts are priceless, precious beyond measure. I delight in your love.
Thank You, thank You, thank You!

*************************************************************************************

This Love Letter concerns Glory House, a women’s rehab program I helped establish:

Emanuel, my dear Emanuel,

What a precious promise is in your name—God with me. I can hardly fathom the thought that you want to be with me. It makes me feel special, honored, and so humble. Well, my darling Emanuel, I want to be with you, too. I’m committing this day wholly to you. I’m teaching the final class on Christian Character Traits to the residents of Glory House today. I pray you will help them, and me, develop a more Christ-like character. We want to be more like you in all we do, and we definitely need your help. Thank you for blessing Glory House and enabling it to continue all these years. It’s been a beacon of light to many people. May their lives bring you glory now and forever.
You are so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment